Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bombay Meri Jaan

We have been visiting Mumbai for past 25 days now and I can't help but get impressed by some of the things that I see here. I also can't help but compare them to the things in US and I get even more impressed. Here is a list of few of them. Note that we are seeing changed Mumbai after 4 years so it is more shocking for us than most others.
Gyms and personal trainers - They are more and more common. I heard many housewives are going regularly to gym with personal trainers
Cellphones, ringtones, and music - Most people on the street have ear plugs in one (or both) the ears and are listening to FM or personal music collection. Cellphone robberies are on rise. I saw more warnings about cellphones than about your wallets!
Helmet awareness is very high - Lots of people are driving bikes with helmets
No for plastic bags - I was impressed when normal shopkeepers refused to give plastic bags because of government regulation. This is very recent in US! I was impressed to see the Eco-awareness in busy Mumbai.
Spending money - People are spending money more than what I have seen before. They are using shopping malls, cool cabs, buying cars, building skyscrapers (and buying homes in them), taking vacations, and so on
Less dependent on oil - Mumbaikars have successfully transitioned to CNG and as a result the pollution is lower than what it was 4 years ago. Now there are cars that can operate both on CNG and petrol (BTW, petrol prices are twice that of 4 years ago.)
Traffic is a mess - It took us 1.5 hours to travel 27 kms on a highway. On some other day, we spent 2 hours on the same road. Lots of cars, cabs, rickshaws, bikes
Trains are overcrowded - I took Thane local around 6:15 pm and I was at the same door, where I got in, till Bhandup! There was not chance of moving inside the train. Thankfully, I could breath! I can not imagine getting into Kalyan or Asangaon local!
New generation is more religious - Vashtu shastra, stones, gems, horoscore, puja, guruji are all on rise. I have seen people adopting this as a full time job!
Improved presentability - People are more cautious about what they wear and how they look

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home