Thursday, March 09, 2006

crash and syriana

Two of the best movies from last year ....

I saw Crash after a string of really really bad movies and I just loved it. After that, I told everyone about it and bored them to death.

The thing that I liked about the movie was that there was no hero. People were people. They did good things and they did bad things just like all of us. However, the central theme of the movie was that "everyone is good at heart", that is, they do bad things because bad things happen to them. ( Although I want to believe in that, I somehow can't. ) It made me aware of my racial biases and I thought that I should do something about it. So, there was a closure of some sort after the discomfort of watching the movie.

It was the best movie of the year .... till Syriana came along. After seeing Syriana, I was sure that Crash had resigned from the top.

Comparing it to Crash, Syriana was about people too. They were people in the movie, no heros and no villains. Sometimes they did good things and sometimes they did bad things.

The difference was that there was no message there and there was no feel-good sense. It portrayed things as they are are and it left the part of "finding a message" to the viewers. It made me aware of how my life is controlled by big industries and a part of my existence was responsible for keeping them profitable. The best part was that there was no closure for this thought .... and this is what made it the best movie for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home